Eucalyptus Stump Remediation (Phase 2)

Early October is within our six month window to continue to track the growth of eucalyptus sprouting and possible decomposition of the inoculated stumps. The California dry season also falls within this six month window and we did not expect to see much mycelial growth, but we did notice some. Both Laetiporus gilbersonii and Trametes versicolor plus an, as yet, unidentified polypore are found growing in the immediate vicinity and in two cases on inoculated stumps. We also found mycelia growing in the inoculations.

At Redwood and Tilden Parks we weighed the removed material, at Gateway we did not. There was a surprising bit of variation in the amount of sprouting that the individual stumps produced. While an average weight of 4 pounds was typical we did find stumps that produced as much as sixteen pounds and also some that had no growth at all. This will provide us with a baseline to chart future changes.

We took GPS coordinates for future researchers to locate our site and those will be available in the near future.

Sprouting on stump
Sprouting on stump
Mycelia on stump
Mycelia on stump
Sulphur Shelf on tree
Sulphur Shelf on tree
Sulphur Shelf on stump
Sulphur Shelf on stump (2)
Turkey Tails on log
Turkey Tails on log
Unidentified polypore on stump
Unidentified polypore on stump

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *