By Mike Slama
20 oz (wet) Shiitake caps and stems, cut to ~1/8” – 1/4” thickness (or use 2 oz dry)
1/2 cup Cream Sherry (or Sake)
1/2 cup Soy Sauce
1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
2-4 Tbs brown sugar to taste
– 5 minced Garlic cloves or 1 tbs garlic powder; maybe some ginger too.
– 1/2 tsp pepper (add during simmer for milder flavor; add before drying for more)
– 1/2 tsp sesame oil
1) Put the sliced mushrooms in a teflon frying pan.
2) Mix the Sake, Soy, Balsamic, and brown sugar and add to the pan
3) Simmer over low heat till all the liquid has been absorbed and/or evaporated – an hour or so
4) Move to dryer trays and spread out. (optional ground pepper, sesame seeds or red pepper flake at this point)
5) Dry for ~4 hours at ~150 degree
This works with any meaty mushroom…Shiitake, Chanterelle, Oyster, or even common Agaricus button mushrooms from a can.